water babies

I've recently been very interested in water birthing.
I had a friend do this a few weeks ago and she had the best experience.
 I like being as prepared as possible for anything, so I've been doing a lot of research.
A few weeks ago I watched a film called
The Business of Being Born
 which gave insight into different options available.
I'm in no way getting ready to have a baby, but I do like being informed.
I love the idea of a calm setting, without the chaos of a hospital room.
I'm not sure if I would do this at home, but there are birthing centers in and out of hospitals.
I remember being in the room when my sister was born. I was 9 and have been scarred ever since.
It wasn't until I watched the film that my nerves started calming in regards to
pregnancy, labor and delivery.
When talking to a friend (a nurse) about this I was telling her that
I don't think it could be worse than when I had kidney stones.
As I was watching the film I was laughing a little at how much the women in labor looked like me when I was passing my kidney stone.
She asked if they gave me drugs, and after naming off the cocktail of medicine they put through my iv she calmly said,
"it's a good thing you want to do natural birth because if those meds didn't work,
then an epidural isn't going to do anything on you."
We'll see what happens...someday.
 
 

2 comments:

The Lady of the House said...

I watched BOBB and it changed how I thought of birth and labor, even after two children!
I wanted a water birth with my fourth, but he decided to come into this world before any tub could be thought about to be turned on. I did though have a crazy, awesome and very natural birth experience. I would do it again.
The thing about the pain is that when i said, "I can't handle this anymore" or "I NEED and epidural", it was done less than ten minutes later and I was holding a new baby in my arms, completely forgetting about the intense pain a minute previous.
It's an amazing experience.

Anonymous said...

i had the MOST AMAZING homebirth with Hadassah! i know you arent there yet but its awesome you are already learning about your birthing options! a short version of her birth story is on my fb page...i could never say enough good things about how great it was and how much it changed me...- Bristen
ps i planned a waterbirth but she came faster than the guys could get the water in it...im ok w that;)